Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Super Bowl - we've become our children

Well, it's Super Bowl weekend.  Nobody enjoy sports no better than I do and I try to keep it in it's place, "It's just a GAME"  But we all enjoy it when our team wins. We enjoy winners.  I always pull for the home team, in my state and in my city where I live.  I have conference pride (SEC) and I pull for teams that I have connections with people, family and friends. But that's just me.

But even at the Pro level of sports, we have become our children.  Let me explain myself.  For many years, we attended my son's high school football games.  Every Friday night either home or away.  I actually enjoyed the away game better, there seem to be a togetherness and more interest in the game.  But I may be getting ahead of my self here. 

The home games were different.  And if it was winning season or losing season, it was a more about a social event in the stands than the game on the field.  Especially with the kids and some adults.  Fast forward to the College Level and tailgating.  It's all about the tailgate party more than the actual game. And I have found these fans are more critical and get very angry at a lost. Not good fans.

Then we come to the Pro Level and we have become our children or is there really a change??  We meet to socialize and have a Super bowl party.  Never mind the game.  There's pre-game activities, the Big Half time show, the commercials and post game analyzes.  More eating, drinking  and laughing than looking at the game.

Do you see the pattern ??  At every level, it's all the same. But I am not complaining here, just making a  social observation that seems a bit negative. To each his own, I say, I like the game. but I like the hot dogs and burgers too.  We have a family tailgate party in the living room next to the big screen TV on Saturday College football game.  We like the late game, the noon game is early for us , 4:00pm game is alright, but we like the 7:00pm game.  Burgers, chips, dips, wings and diet cherry cola. :-)

The bible says But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  If you are looking for Him, realize, that He's actually looking for you. And trust in the Lord with all your heart and He shall direct your path. Call on Him today.

So Let's keep the games in it's proper perspective.

God Bless you,
RevDanSam

(ps. go Denver, just pulling for Peyton Manning) :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment