Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Radio Station

One Saturday morning, I woke up early to carry my son to meet one of his train club members for a model train show.  It was still dark as we drove down Highway 9 by the old radio station. It had closed down many years ago and I thought that it might be a point of interest for my son.  So I mentioned it to him,"there's the old radio station" and he said I know, we use to drop off tapes there for our church broadcast.  And then my mind went back . . . yester-year . . .

It was a small 10,000 watt day light radio station, meaning it could only broadcast from sun up to sun down. It was not really a full time gospel / religious station, but they played Southern Gospel a lot.  The morning show was gospel music and programming.  As a young preacher boy, I thought it was a great thing when I was asked to preach the morning devotional program.  But they had Southern gospel music in the mornings, then country music in the afternoon and in the evening "Supper time gospel" until sun down or the end of the day.  In the summertime they ran 6am to 9pm.  Just great memories.

But as my mind went back I immediately thought about the different times and the different days that I had been there through out my young Christan life.  First, I thought about our youth group singing at the radio station.  Usually on a Sunday afternoon, we would crowd into the small radio program area which had an out of tune piano that someone or a church had donated and we sang loud for the glory of God.  Giggles and laughter was going on with "SSSHH" we are going on the air !! All turn serious and we sung as best we could.  (I still smile thinking about it)

Then a couple of preacher friends of mine bought some time and had a weekly Sunday program.  We would have 5 to 6 preachers a Sunday there, hoping that one of the preachers would yield his time to us preacher boys.  Later we would have two 30 minute broadcasts from 3pm to 4 pm.  And we had enough preachers to support both Sunday broadcasts.  (it was a great time)

Then I went on my own, and had a weekly 15 minute program. One was at 4:15pm and then later at 5:15pm, the most wanted time among preachers, 5:15 pm, it was right after the obituary report and when it had its highest listener ship.  :-)  (many still say to this day we heard you back then)

Finally, I wanted to promote the church that I pastor, and I had a 15 minute weekly Sunday morning at 8:15am. And that's where my son remembered dropping off a tape at the radio station for our weekly church program and then going to church. 

It was great happy times for me and I was glad that in midst of it all, I was serving the Lord.  I know my Lord keeps a record.  And I count it a real joy knowing God would take that radio signal and deliver it to a soul or a someone that needed help /  a message from Him.

God bless you friend, maybe this is a message for you ?? You MUST be born again (see john 3) or God is calling you to promote and proclaim the Gospel of Christ, if so, or in either case "Hear ye Him !!"

Brethren, pray for us,

RevDavSam


No comments:

Post a Comment