Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Optimistic Cows

Many years ago, as a young preacher, I became a Bus Captain in our Bus Ministry at my home church.  (I say again, it was a great time in my life) I was given an old yellow Ford school bus, 66 passenger. We had five buses, all were yellow school buses.  And assigned to me was my bus driver Bro. Hamby, an experience truck driver, that drove a cement truck, tractor trailer style.  A delightful man, very serious about his job and experience in trucking, and he served in the Army. Also, He played the bass guitar in our church service.  His family would ride the bus with us on Sunday mornings when we picked up the children.  And with their other family and friends, I would have a load before I started the day, but it only seem that way. :-)  On one particular Sunday we went by a farm that had some cows in the pasture.  And it was noted that some cows were laying down and some were standing.   I am not sure who said it, but somebody quoted an old saying that says if cows are laying down it's going to rain, but if the cows are standing it's not going to rain.  An interesting fact, we did not think much about it, until someone said well those that standing are "optimistic cows" Well, we got to giggling and laughing about that statement and laugh about it for weeks and months to come. And when we saw any cows standing in the pasture, someone would say there's some optimistic cows !!
Well, that was many years ago and as I look back on that time, I didn't realize what a blessing that family was to me as they helped me on the bus route.  From cookies and kool aide, preparing and praying it was blessing to have work / labor for the Lord with that family.
You know, sometimes the Good Lord puts people in your life, I mean, right in your path to help you and many times we do not notice it until later, even sadly, later in life.  I left the Bus ministry to start Bible College and do radio work. But even now, sometimes, when I go by a pasture and I see the cows standing, I remember the bus ministry days and the "optimistic cows"  Hey, they do not think that it's going to rain. :-)

But dear friend, who is God leading into your life??   Into your path??  Maybe God is speaking to you. If so, hear ye Him while He is calling.   Accept Him into your heart. See in the Bible Proverbs 3;5-6, John 3;16, Romans 10:9-10,13.

God Bless you,

RevDanSam

No comments:

Post a Comment