Sunday, May 13, 2012

I wish I could preach that


Psa. 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

At my first church that I pastored, in the 1990s, we would work with Missionaries to financially and prayerfully support them.  In the day, we had 25 missionaries that we supported for 25 dollars a month.  (that was the going rate back then, but it worked)  I later found that most missionaries said they would rather have a bunch of small churches with small but consistent support. It was a great time with a GREAT blessing to our church and me.  We would have "MISSION SUNDAY"  where we would have Missionaries teach our Sunday school classes and one would teach "FAITH PROMISE GIVING" in the sanctuary class for the adults.  Then we would have lunch & dinner with the missionaries.  It was really a GREAT TIME!!!   I remember in my home church, the 3 & 4 year old Sunday school teacher would have "Mr. Missionary"  And the children were taught to give their quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies to Mr. Missionary. What a great life lesson.  One of the young preacher boys was Mr. Missionary and he became a missionary and now is pastoring a church.  ;-)  Great times and great memories !!!
    On one particular Mission Sunday a missionary stood and spoke to our congregation about missions.  He was and still is a missionary to Indonesia, but He shared his heart and said sometimes I will prepare a sermon in English and I will wish I could preach that in Indonesian and sometimes I prepare a sermon in Indonesian and I wish I could preach that in English.  He said that with a tear in his eye and brokeness in his voice.  I thought what a statement, what a great love !!!  Especially for his people and for the Lord.  A desire to preach and share the gospel message in English and another language.

 The 1980s and 1990s  were great times, for we were in Bible college together the 80s. And then became Pastors and Missionaries in the 90s. Truly we were laborers together with God !!!

Dear Christian friend, we need to be about our Father's business.  Go ye into All the world and preach the Gospel.  I am thankful for technology that allows preacher boys like me to share the gospel on the WORLD WIDE WEB, (www)  literally fulfilling Gods word to go into all the world. 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whosoever believes in him shall perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

God bless you neighbor,
Rev. Daniel Samples
revdansam@gmail.com

   

No comments:

Post a Comment